I would definitely not consider myself a “hardcore runner” however over the past year I’ve really started to get into it and there’s ALOT that I’ve learned.
- Running is hard work but if you keep working at it you WILL get better
- Get the right shoes: I run in Asics because they support my arch the best but some people prefer different shoes depending on your preferred feel
- You must STRETCH: I like to do a small stretch before and a very hard stretch once I’m done running.
- ROLL IT OUT: get a foam roller, it will be your worst enemy and your best friend. As John Mellencamp once said its going to “hurt so good”.
- HYDRATE: when I’m working on my endurance I like to carry around a gallon of water. This helps me drink a ton of water throughout the day because I am contantly reminded when I look at my jug. This will help your running, and you will feel so much better doing so!
- Don’t worry about your pace: I personally have a slow steady pace which works for me. But if you have to walk a little here and there its OK! Just keep going!
- Last but most importantly not least, DONT GIVE UP! You’re going to feel like quitting when you’re so sore you can’t walk up the stairs, but don’t. When I started I could barely run a mile without getting winded; now 3 miles is a piece of cake.
- Now get out there and RUN!
“You must expect great things from yourself before you can do them.” -Michael Jordan